Complaints and compliments

Listening and responding

Your comments, compliments, concerns or complaints can all help CSH Surrey to improve its services.

If an error has been made, we will provide an apology. We will answer your questions and explain the events and the decisions that were made. We will tell you what action is being undertaken as a result of your complaint. No-one is discriminated against because they have made a complaint.

Our employees also value your compliments, and these also help us to know when we are doing things well.

What if I have a concern?

You can raise a concern for yourself or on behalf of someone else. If you complain on behalf of a friend or relative you must have their consent to represent them.

Who should I discuss this with?

Your concerns can often be addressed ‘there and then’. Please speak to the healthcare professional you were seen by, or ask to speak to their manager or the person in charge. You can leave a message for them to contact you at a time convenient to you.

What if I wish to complain?

Make your complaint as soon as possible, detailing the concerns you have. Except in exceptional circumstances, this should be not more than 12 months after the incident. You can telephone us, email or write a letter. Don’t forget to provide us with your full name, address and contact number. You can complain directly to the commissioner of the service you were seen by if you prefer. Please refer to the list below. Please do contact us if you are unsure which commissioner to contact.

What information do we need?

Please provide as much information as possible about the concerns you have. Please let us know how you would like your complaint to be resolved, eg over the telephone, at a meeting or in writing, and the outcome you are hoping for.

Who will be helping me with my concerns?

CSH Surrey’s  Patient Experience Team will assist you. Your concerns will be acknowledged, investigated and responded to within agreed timescales.

The Patient Experience Team can be contacted 01483 362900 or by email at

You can also write to the Patient Experience Team at CSH Surrey, 4th Floor, Dukes Court, Woking, GU21 5BH. Alternatively you can send your letter to CSH Surrey’s Chief Executive, also at Dukes Court, Woking.

How quickly will you respond to me?

We will contact you within three working days of receiving your complaint to let you know we have received it and that we are starting our investigation. If you are raising a concern or complaint on behalf of the person receiving care we will need their  written consent that they are happy for this to happen/to share their information. We would send a consent form to be completed by the person receiving care  in this instance and our investigation would start on the day we have their consent to proceed.  

We aim to respond to your concerns within 25 working days of receiving your complaint. It can help to speed up our response if you are happy to provide your daytime telephone contact number so we can contact you more easily if we have additional questions or need further information. 

What if I have further questions?

You can ask to meet with us, where we will be happy to explain our response and discuss your concerns. We can also offer other possible resolution options, such as independent conciliation.

If, after this, you still feel your concerns or complaint has not been resolved or handled satisfactorily, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to review your case. You should contact the Ombudsman within a year of raising your complaint.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Address: Citygate, Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3HQ

Tel: 0345 015 4033


Further information

NHS England: You can call 0300 311 22 33 if you have a query regarding your GP, pharmacy, dentist, or optician. You can email them at putting ‘For the attention of the complaints manager’ in the subject line. You can also write to NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch B97 9PT. Or visit their website at

NHS Choices is a website that provides health information, details of local services and information on how to make a complaint. Visit

The Department of Health website also has information about the NHS complaints procedure. Visit

Healthwatch Surrey

Call 0303 303 0023 or contact them by email on or visit their website at

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

Need help to make a complaint? If you live in Surrey and are unhappy with the NHS treatment you have received, the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service can provide free, confidential and independent support to help you to make a complaint about an NHS service. It is provided by Healthwatch Surrey in partnership with SILC (Surrey Independent Living Charity).

You can contact the team via:

• Telephone: 01483 310 500

• Text (SMS): 07704 265 377

• Email: 

• Website:

Surrey Heartlands Health and Care Partnership

General enquiries

Contact details for all CSH Surrey services are available on the service pages of this website.